Frequently Asked Questions

Will I be travelling with a reliable company?

Away We Go Tours has been in business since 2003 and we have perfected the school excursion experience throughout Australia and the world. We are a licensed Travel Agency, a member of AFTA - Australian Federation of Travel Agencies and members of the ASTA – American Society of Travel Agents, registered with IATA - International Air Transport Association and hold a Travel Industry Designator Service code.

Do Away We Go Tours book everything for us?

Yes we can. We can book as much or as little as you require.

What is the ‘Back Office/Client Login’ and when can I receive my login and password?

Our ‘Back Office’ area is designed to give 24 hour – 7 days a week support to our Organising Teachers. This valuable tool for teachers, allows access to a range of planning tools to help you with your excursion organisation.

Once your Booking Conditions and Deposit are returned, your tour is confirmed and you will be issued with a log in & password. Once logged in, you gain access to the following:

  • Risk Assessments for all major attractions, accommodations & transport methods
  • Teachers Planning Checklists
  • Sample Medical Forms, What to bring lists etc…
  • AWGT required forms (Final Details, Special Requirements)
  • Accommodation Information, links & photos
  • Attraction Information, links, worksheets & photos
  • Plus much more!

We are the only School Excursion Travel Agent offering this free planning tool!

What sort of coaches do you use?

Away We Go Tours has a number of preferred coach companies with the highest standards. Safety, comfort, affordability, along with Ministry of Transport accreditation and drivers ‘Working with Children’ checked, are compulsory requirements in companies we use.

How many passengers can fit on a coach?

Coach sizes vary from 24 seat coaches right up to 69 seat coaches. Coaches are chosen to fit numbers, distance travelled, luggage requirements, and to provide the best cost basis for your trip.

Can you book my flights?

Yes. Away We Go Tours has the ability to book and confirm groups, on the best available fare offered at the requested date and time. Group Flight bookings allow teachers time to organise exact numbers, names and payments. Quotes for flights can be requested up to 10 months in advance.

Should I take Travel Insurance? Can you help?

Yes we can. As soon as you have a trip confirmed and deposited it is advisable Travel Insurance is the next important aspect of your trip you consider. For domestic travel the choice of travel insurance is dependant on length of travel, cost of total trip, and ultimately is the schools choice. We recommend any school from interstate travelling by air, takes out insurance.

What are the deposit requirements?

Deposits depend on how far out you are booking, and what your accommodation booking conditions are. Accommodation deposit requirements are always provided when availability is given. If your accommodation requires a deposit your school will be invoiced. Away We Go Tours requires a deposit of $800, and this is only invoiced at the beginning of the year of travel.

When does final land payment of the excursion need to be made by?

This does vary, however as a general rule payment is required a minimum of 7 days prior to travel. Depending on your accommodation payment requirements, this can occasionally be requested quite a bit earlier. For example YHA accommodation require payment 1 month prior.

When is my flight name list required and my final flight payment due?

Both payment and names spreadsheet are required into our office, 12 weeks prior to travel.

What is included in my quote?

You will receive a detailed quote including a personalised draft itinerary and costing along with information and extra details specific to your quote request. We ensure that we clearly state all inclusions and any extra costs. The cost is set out as a per student or per adult all inclusive price.

Are Teachers Free of Charge?

Our excursion quotes provided standardly include a 1:10 Free of Charge ratio for teachers. Parents and any Teachers over our FOC ratio would require a separate adult quote/price.

Do I have my own personalised Tour Co-ordinator?

Yes. When a school books with us, a Tour coordinator is assigned to you. This means you have one point of contact and someone on the other end of the line who thoroughly knows your details and requirements.

What is the standard of accommodation? Is linen provided?

Accommodation can vary from 4 star to basic camp style. Accommodations are well maintained warm and comfortable, with packages to suit school groups. The advantage of booking through Away We Go Tours is that each motel we book is well qualified by us, through repeated school bookings and the relationship we have developed with each accommodation. Linen is provided in many accommodations, however some require students to bring their own. This usually provides cost savings. Most importantly we listen to your requirements and combine choices based on your requested needs and availability.

Are the teachers in separate rooms to the students? Can teachers have singles rooms?

Teachers (and adults) are always in separate rooms to the children, unless otherwise requested. Male and female teachers are always in separate rooms unless requested otherwise. Single rooms are sometimes available. These must be requested early, and are

normally always at extra cost. This is over an above, any quoted excursion price, and often this surcharge is substantially more. It does vary from accommodation to accommodation. This request is best factored in early, when the accommodation choice is made.

I would like to sort the children into their rooms; can I have my rooming allocation?

Rooming allocation is provided to the organising teacher after the school provides the Final Details to us. This includes gender breakdown and dietary requirements. Until we receive your details, we are unable to provide any details back to you. Best advice here is to get your Final Details in as early as possible.

Does the school share accommodation with general public?

This does depend on your accommodation. Should your accommodation also have private bookings, they ensure to the best of their ability your allocation is either on separate floors or in a separate area. There are many accommodations who only deal with school groups. If you have specific requests in this regard it is important to advance book.

What meals are included on the excursion?

Generally all meals are included unless other wise stated on your itinerary. Students are usually required to bring lunch on Day one.

What happens if our numbers increase or decrease - Why is it important to notify AWGT’s of number changes?

Any change in numbers (even by 1 passenger) can affect costing, and coach size. It is imperative if you go above, or below the minimum and maximum set on your excursion quote, that you notify us immediately. You also need to be aware that closer to travel dates there are differing non-refundable cut-offs for individual accommodation, coach and pre-paid attraction booking and payment conditions.

When is gender & dietary information required?

Gender and dietary information is required prior to departure, a minimum of 12 weeks for interstate and flying schools and 4 weeks for all other schools. Rooming allocations are then requested from your accommodation and any special needs or dietary requirements are confirmed. This information will be required by your accommodation and also the airlines if flying. The earlier you can supply this information the quicker we can return details to you.

Are schools able to ski or snowboard on school excursions?

Yes, and great fun it is. We are the ski excursion specialists. From selected school group accommodation, the latest ski equipment, lift tickets, ‘on snow’ rooms, night activities, teacher menus and more, we can provide you with the best value package with the most inclusions in all the Snowy Mountains! Risk Assessment help, notes, permission forms, waivers, ski hire collation sheets and more are all provided to make organising a trip such as this - that little bit easier. Don’t forget you can combine a Canberra excursion with a fun few days skiing – any combination is possible.

What’s included in my ski/snow play hire?

Snow play hire consists of pants, jacket and snow boots. Ski hire consists of Ski’s (or board), boots, stocks, helmets, wrist guards (if boarding) pants and jacket. Items NOT included in both ski and snow play hire are: gloves, goggles and beanie. These items must be provided by the students and can also be purchased at ski hire.

Are schools able to toboggan on school excursions?

Departmental approval for this activity varies from state to state. This is something that each school must confirm with their Department of Education. We regularly book schools for a chair ride and snow play. Alternately you might consider a ride or two at Perisher’s Tube Town.

How do I apply for PACER?

While we always ensure your PACER needs are covered in your booked itinerary, schools MUST apply for this rebate themselves. We recommend applying 3-6 months prior to travel. Forms and eligibility are download-able from either our website or the PACER website.

As the department must approve our travel - Risk Assessment and working with children checks are important - can you help with this?

The planning tools and risk assessment help available through our client login will provide invaluable assistance in planning your excursion. The RTA ensures all coach drivers have approved driver authority, which includes working with children checks. We provide as many Risk Assessments as we can through extensive links and downloads available in the Client back office area.